Gaming as a Cause for Concern

Gaming addiction: is it a problem or does it have the potential for problems? The Ottawa Citizen feels there is cause for concern in this recent article:

A game too far: When kids, gaming, and parenting collide

1 comments:

rachel.lessard said...

I definitely agree that gaming can be a cause for concern as it may lead to problems such as addiction, aggression, violence, isolation, lack of social skills, etc. However, according to the Media Awareness Network, “good-quality video games” can offer lots of benefits to kids. The network describes good-quality as meeting the requirements of the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) – which is a board that rates games to specific age groups. Also, games that are interesting, challenging without being violent, have problem-solving skills and involve more than one player promote interaction and a fun environment to game in.

So, some benefits of gaming for youth may include providing a fun and social form of entertainment, encouraging teamwork and cooperation when played with others, making kids comfortable with technology, increase self-confidence and develop skills in reading math, technology and problem-solving, among other benefits. Now, this being said there are chances that games can be addictive, which personally, I think should be monitored by parents... I find it interesting that there can be two very opposing viewpoints of said past-time activity, and I can definitely support both sides. Good post Liz!

www.media-awareness.ca

Post a Comment

Followers